Monday, April 13, 2009

William Osler once (or maybe more than once, for all I know) said- "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life." He's right. So I'm going to add what I can, even if its only in the digital world.


Add what you want, take what you subtract,
But know for once and for all this certain fact:
To add to life all one can,
Is the highest honour of a man,
Indeed is lucky that one fellow,
Who sees his life only as mellow.
Living with sorrow, filled with dread,
are those who cannot earn their bread.
Two ways to choose, two paths to take,
Decide which is real, and which is fake.
To get from life is not a sin,
As long as we return what we win.
But then again, there are those who don't,
Those who will say "I won't",
For for every action there is a right and a wrong,
As there are men both weak and strong.
Some succumb to their fears,
Others live pure for many years.
It is thus with good reason that I say,
I request, I plea, and I pray,
That you remember for certain this simple fact:
Add what you want, take what you subtract,
There are yet two paths to take,
It is up to you, discern which is real, and which is fake.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! As I do all the other poems you've ever written! But title it, will you?

    ReplyDelete